Jan & John Maggs

Antiques and Art

Georgian crowned witch’s heart brooch

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The witch’s (also ‘witches’) heart has a very distinctive shape—the bottom of the heart always twists to one side.

In ancient times, it was thought to protect against the “evil eye” and to keep witches from harming infants. In early times very tiny witches’ hearts were pinned to baby blankets to ward off these dark forces.

The witch’s heart in sentimental (love token) jewelry has been used since the 15th century, and can be found in rings, pendants, and brooches.

In 17th century Scotland it was called a Luckenbooth brooch (when created as a pin); the Scots name originates from the closed (locked) booths near St. Giles Cathedral along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh where jewelers sold these pieces. Certainly, by the 1700’s it symbolized that the giver was “bewitched” by the wearer; when the witch’s heart is doubled or supports a crowned top, it represents loyalty.

This luckenbooth crowned witch’s heart was created in silver and closed-back set with rose-cut diamond paste stones.

The crown is set with rose-cut ruby paste stones.

It measures 1 1/8” top to bottom, and 3/4” at the widest point.

English, ca. 1780

Click HERE to view a brief video of this piece.

Price: $475

 Free domestic shipping is available on this item

Questions? Click HERE.

Inventory #26490

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Click to return to the Jan & John Maggs home page